Discussions

Keep going?

Please help me settle an argument with my husband who believes that even when you're struggling you shouldn't stop. I'm a beginner who runs 5k twice a week. Sometimes l find breathing slows me down and l have to slow to a brisk walk, albeit for a 2 minutes. Doesn't help that l suffer from a blocked nose and can only breath through my mouth. Surely it's better to pace yourself. Who is right?

Sarah Sarah

Sign in or Join to reply

1. Paul

Paul Well said Sarah, the only person I race/try to beat is myself

0 20 Mar 17
  2. Sarah

Sarah Thanks so much for your advice guys. I think that as some of you have hit upon...it should be about read moreenjoying the run, not turning it into some kind of punishment. After all I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone but myself and I'm proud that I've gone from being a non-runner to running 5k twice a week. However l if I'm feeling energetic I do try to push myself...it's always nice to achieve a new goal! It's so important to listen to your body...but probably ignore your mind when it starts telling you you can't do it! Had this on Saturday but carried on regardless. Thanks again.

0 19 Mar 17
  3. Chris Pattison

Chris Pattison I'm with you Sarah. If you keep pushing regardless of the warning signs then you risk serious read moreinjury, but also you may well enter a zone where you just decide you no longer enjoy it and its not for you. There are times when various niggles have brought me to a stop over the years ... my strategy is then to keep moving forwards, and often after a few minutes or more ... I am ready to give it a good go again.

I'm all for pushing yourself (of course), but be mindful that you are doing this for enjoyment and its not some sort of torture, and be very mindful of warning signs that if ignored could lead to something more serious.

1 15 Mar 17
  4. Mark.Oliver

Mark.Oliver You push yourself to improve, but learn to understand when to take a step back. If you push too hard read moreyou won't improve as much as if you push just enough. It's a fine balance!

0 15 Mar 17
  5. TimmyTwoSheds

TimmyTwoSheds As I always say: Jeffing is better than nuffing. But also: If you do what you always did, you'll get read morewhat you always got. Probably somewhere between "Lazy Sunday Afternoons" and "Break on Through to the Other Side" if you prefer a musical twist to it.

0 14 Mar 17
  6. Paul

Paul I think you're both right, which doesn't help does it?

Your hubby is right that you should push through the instinct to stop or slow down if you can. It's only by pushing the current limits of your CV system that you get fitter, so not pushing you'll see little or no progress in your fitness.

That said, nobody enjoys having a heart attack. Once you've been running a while you'll get to know when you're really struggling and when you just think you are (your brain really can play tricks on you, I've had it where I think I'm struggling and I look at my watch and my heart rate is 130 - well below safe limits/target zone for that run so then I know to give myself a kick up the bum and carry on).

So I guess that is one bit of advice, get yourself a HRM of some kind. Running watches can be very expensive but if you don't need GPS and a million different metrics measuring then you can get a good HRM sports watch for not a lot of money nowadays. Get that set up properly and you'll know if you're out the top of zone 5 and might wanna drop the pace a bit, or in zone 3 and not struggling as much as you think.

Good luck with your running btw

3 14 Mar 17
  7. rob k

rob k I think you are right. If you need to catch your breath then do so. I have run in plenty of races, read moreseen people stop for all kinds of reasons and then carry on.

0 12 Mar 17
  8. RA

RachBlur When I started out I used to have a short walk after running the hills around where I live and read moredidn't know my ability. Now I don't allow myself to stop, I just tell myself just keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep going, keep pushing the distance and speed. As they say, no pain no gain :) x

2 12 Mar 17
  9. Spinney

Spinney Hi there. Personally I believe that you are correct. That said I am with your husband in I am far to read morestubborn to stop in the hope I might be able to push on through.

0 12 Mar 17
  10. Linda 1962

Linda 1962 Most beginners plans involve a walk run strategy. Think about why you are out there running to get read morefit but you should also be trying to enjoy it or you will very likely give up, so in my book it's absolutely fine to take walk breaks. When doing a long run I always give myself permission to walk it takes the pressure off and more often than not I don't need to walk. Was my marathon any less of an achievement because I walked bits I don't think so! Keep on going and walk when you need to.

0 12 Mar 17
  11. Nazzurro19

Nazzurro19 If you walk some of it i dont consider it to be a run, i make sure that what ever distance i do i do read moreit no matter what, mind of matter i just completed my first half, my furthest run until last week was 10k and ive just smashed it even though after the 9th mile i wanted to stop

0 12 Mar 17
  12. Ian C77

Ian C77 My wife and I have the same argument. I guess the answer is there is no right answer, it is whatever read moremindset works best for you. For me when I run I set myself an achievable but challenging distance and when it hurts grit my teeth and dig in, no stopping. I feel great for defeating the mental goal. My wife however if she needs to walk for a bit will do just that but I dont judge her for it. Its all about what works for you. Of course I am no expert that`s just my opinion, there may well be a scientific answer but that`s how I see it. Do what works for you.

0 12 Mar 17