A delicious meal to share with family and friends or simply make for yourself, this roasted squash risotto comes packed with heartwarming autumnal flavours that will power you through your marathon long runs.
- Risotto rice
- Half a medium butternut squash
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 head of garlic
- 500ml veg or chicken stock
- 50g parmesan, grated
- Handful fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme
- Peel the butternut squash and chop into cubes. Toss half the butternut squash cubes in olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in over at 180 degrees along with the entire head of garlic for around 30 minutes, until the butternut turns golden at the corners and a knife slides easily into it.
- Put the rest of the butternut squash into the simmering stock to poach.
- Sweat the onion in oil for 10 mins, add the rice, stir and add stock bit by bit, towards the end mash the cubes of butternut squash and add to pan with the thyme.
- Add sage leaves to the roasting tray with the butternut for the last 10 mins.
- When the roast butternut is done, take it all out of the oven. Squeeze out the roast garlic from the skins, mash and stir into the risotto.
- Stir in the parmesan and season to taste.
- Serve in bowls with roast butternut squash dotted on top, and sprinkle with the crispy sage leaves.