Discussions

First marathon

Hi everyone, first post about my first marathon coming up April 2019. Over the last 5 odd years I've run about half a dozen half marathons and decided I really want to tick the box of the full. I practice hot yoga a few times a week and do a bit of strength training but really need to start a regular running routine. in the past I have fudged a lot of my halves, getting away with it with the amount of yoga I do but I know I can't do this for the full and need to approach it properly. Any advice/tips in the way of plans appreciated.

TO Tom

Sign in or Join to reply

1. TO

Tom Thanks for the advice Ruth, will look up those resources you suggest and I'll let you know how I go!

0 1 Dec 18
  2. Ruth M C

Ruth M C Hi Tom. Well done for deciding to do a full marathon. In my opinion everyone should try it at least read moreonce in a lifetime. Have a look at Hal Higdon's Marathon 3 (he also has lots of other marathon schedules) and Jenny Hadfield's schedules, all of which accommodate lots of cross training. Your Yoga strength will stand you in good stead, but for the marathon you need to stick to a well structured routine. Make sure you log your runs on the Bug as you will get all the help/encouragement needed. Good luck!

0 1 Dec 18