Bursting with folic acid, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium and vitamin B6, baked beans are the ultimate unsung superfood. Twinned with baked potatoes, you can't get a better pre-run fuel.
Vegetarian Vegan Gluten-free
- 2 baking potatoes
- 1 tin cannellini or haricot beans, drained
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cloves
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark Muscovado sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried herbs such as oregano or thyme
- Salt to taste
- Pop the potatoes in the oven at 160 degrees C for an hour.
- Slice or crush the garlic, and fry it with the cloves in olive oil until the garlic starts to colour.
- Then add the tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, herbs and salt to taste.
- Let it simmer gently for a good 20 minutes.
- Remove the cloves (and if you want a smooth sauce, you can purée the mixture in a blender).
- Return the mixture to the pan and add the beans.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes or until your potatoes are cooked.