Who said being healthy meant missing out on burgers?
- For the burgers:
- 2 red onions, 1 sliced, 1 chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 200g carrots, coarsely grated
- 75g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 70g wild rocket
- 390g tin green lentils, drained
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- For the tzatziki:
- 100g cucumber, seeded and finely diced
- 10g mint, finely chopped
- 100g natural yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas mark 7. Place the sliced onions in a small bowl along with the lemon juice and some seasoning, and marinate for around 30 minutes.
- Drain the lemon juice away and set aside.
- Place a little oil in a pan and heat gently over a medium heat before adding the onion and cooking for around 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the lentils to the pan and increase the heat gradually. Cook for 2 minutes to evaporate the excess liquid in the pan and add the cumin towards the end. Place in a bowl, add the carrot, breadcrumbs and egg, and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in the crumbled feta and split the mixture into 4 equal parts, moulding into burgers. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper or foil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Mix the cucumber with the yogurt and mint to make the tzatziki and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the burgers to a plate and serve with a spoonful of tzatziki, with the marinated onion and rocket.