A hearty but healthy dish, this veggie casserole is as flavorsome as any meat alternative.
Vegetarian Vegan Gluten-free
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 celery sticks, roughly diced
- 4 medium carrots, roughly diced
- 3 leeks, washed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100ml white wine
- 800g chopped tomatoes
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 700ml hot vegetable stock
- 410g can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 410g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Small handful fresh oregano
- Heat the oil gently over a medium heat in a large casserole pan, before adding the celery and carrots and cooking gently for 7-8 minutes.
- Add the leeks and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, before adding the wine and garlic. Reduce the wine a little and stir well.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and season well, before adding in the stock, bringing to the boil and simmering for around half an hour. You should try to stir the mixture occasionally until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has reduced significantly.
- Add the beans to the pan along with a dash of water should the casserole look at all dry, and cook through for a further 5 minutes before removing from the heat and adding the oregano and lemon juice.
- Serve with crispy bread.