It's a well known fact that cake makes you a better runner. OK, maybe we made that up, but this recipe actually will. Jam-packed with natural energy our banana cake is a great way to fuel yourself during a long run or to treat yourself afterwards.
Now you can literally have your cake, eat it and run at the same time. You can thank us later.
- 115g x butter or margarine
- 170g x sugar - granulated, caster or demerara
- 225g x self raising flour
- 2 x eggs
- 2 x large very ripe bananas
- 70g x chopped walnuts
- Heat the oven to 180C/ gas mark 4.
- Grease a 2lb/ 900g loaf tin or two medium-sized cake tins with butter.
- Mash the bananas together with a fork.
- Cream the butter and sugar together and then mix in the eggs.
- Mix together the cake and banana mixture together, add in the flour and walnuts.
- Scrape the ingredients into the tin/ tins.
- Bake for 40 minutes and then lower the temperature to 150C/ gas mark 2.
- Cook for a further 30 minutes.
- When the cake is cooked turn it out and put onto a cooling rack. Try your best to resist temptation until fully cooled.
- Cut into slices, wrap in foil and take with you on the run. We think you'll find that your energy-gel stash might start getting side-lined.
- Do you have any favourite cake recipes? Comment below and let us know!