Made using borlotti and cannellini (or the beans of your choice!) this vegetarian bean casserole is packed with protein and perfect for a post-run recovery refuel.
Vegetarian Vegan Gluten-free
- 4 celery sticks, diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 3 leeks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100ml white wine
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 700ml vegetable stock
- 410g can borlotti beans
- 410g can cannellini beans
- Small handful fresh oregano or fresh thyme to garnish
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oil in a large casserole or saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the celery and carrots and cook, stirring, for 7-8 minutes.
- Add the leeks, cook for 3-4 minutes, then stir in the garlic and wine.
- Let the wine cook and reduce for a few mins.
- Add the tomatoes and lemon zest and season well.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, then simmer fairly rapidly for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the vegetables are just tender and the liquid has reduced and thickened.
- Stir in the beans (add a dash of hot water, if necessary) and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the oregano or thyme and the lemon juice.
- Spoon the casserole into bowls and garnish with fresh oregano or thyme leaves.
- Serve with buttered toast for a delicious carb-fix.