- 100 -110g coconut oil - solid (make sure it isn't melted)
- 250g light brown sugar
- 65ml coconut milk
- 60g unsweetened applesauce
- 200g plain, spelt or wholewheat flour
- 350g vegan dark chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Line a large baking tray with grease proof paper and set aside, meanwhile preheating the oven to 375 degrees F/ 190 C.
- Mix together the coconut oil, vanilla extract and brown sugar and beat until well mixed.
- Add in the applesauce and coconut milk and whisk until well combined before putting to one side.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt and baking soda and stir well, ensuring the ingredients are combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and with a wooden spatula, stir until all ingredients are combined and the batter is nice and thick.
- Fold in 300g of chocolate chips, leaving the final 50g to one side.
- Scoop between 15 -18 tablespoon sized mounds of dough onto the prepped baking tray, making sure to leave a few inches between each cookies for spreading. Place the tray into the oven and cook for 9 to 10 minutes, until the cookies are golden on the edges.
- Before the cookies are cooled fully, press the remaining chocolate chips on to the top of the warm cookies and a sprinkle of flaked sea salt if you fancy.
- Cool the cookies on a baking sheet for 15-minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.